Monday, July 4, 2011

Grandma's Hands. [91 Years]

We all knew it was coming. A week ago my Mom called my brother and I to tell us that the pain that my Grandma had been complaining about in her side was indeed, cancer. As unfair as it is for any person to give another an expiration date, the doc said that she had roughly 3 weeks, she passed away yesterday at 9:32 p.m. I can remember summer after summer, packing up our family, old school music, and snacks for the drive to the small town where the legacy of our family began. It still amazes me that I have 16 aunts and uncles combined, over 200 cousins, and Lord knows how many distant cousins... all from my Mom's side of the family. It's obvious that recessions never effected my Grand parents who always kept their large family clothed, fed, and well loved. They always kept things together, regardless of the circumstances and I know they are the reason why such determined blood runs through my veins. Grandma always kept a light spirit; offering a smile to everyone who entered her life and serving up raw wisdom wrapped in love. Every gathering was literally a celebration and one thing that she laughed at for years was that I told her that every time I come to visit, it's like a party. A woman with many [church] hats, and swore her baby soft skin to cold cream, I will cherish every moment I had with her. Evolving into a dynamic woman who is capable of doing everything she has.
I send my love to all my family, near and far and pray for the prosperity of our family. 

Grandma, give Grandpa, my Dad, Marquis, Uncle George, Aunt Nancy, and everyone who came before me a kiss... and continue to watch over us.


i'm wearing the biggest church hat i can find for this "party".

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like she had a great life and touched everyone around her.

    ReplyDelete