Friday, December 31, 2010

How to Survive the New Years

Fucking procrastinators, smh I tell ya, I don't know why people wait until December 31st to get their lives together! I know folks got things to do but damn. Why add stress on top of obligation? Don't  mind me, I'm not an asshole, I just joke a lot. I can speak with this kind of confidence because I just stopped caring about countdowns, resolutions, and the lot. Personally, all it does is remind me how old I'm getting, lol. But for most, I know there's a lot of pressure around the holidays: toys for the kids, bomb food for the family, and clothes to club in. Then there's the NEW YEAR!

Yikes. I know. The thought of "starting over" can raise a level of anxiety even the coolest person didn't know existed, but before you beat yourself up by thinking of how bad 2010 was do me a favor and breath! Since stress is the response of actual [mostly imagined] emotional or physical threats, let's find a better way of handling the inevitable.  I hate when people gripe and complain about a situation and offer no solution so I thought of some ways the panicked pron ed can ease their way into 2011. I hope they help...




  1. Clean your house. A lot can happen in a year, you can move one places too many, shake a lot of hands, and form some bad habits. If the new year means doing things differently, start to think about the unnecessary things you've accumulated and get rid of them! If that seems too big of a task in such a short time, start by literally cleaning your home. Get rid of clothes that no longer excite you, clutter and cobwebs. Mop those hardwood floors, and wash your sheets. With everything "like" new, it could clear your mind and help make better choices. Form a plan to straighten finances, and get rid of habits that are bad for your the lifestyle you want to lead. And get rid of the folks that are wasting your damn time! Drama free is the key.
  2. Leave the past behind. "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery" is how the saying goes... right? Point is, as much as all of us would like to jump into that time machine and "do it all over again", we can't. When I hit a rough patch earlier this year, I got great advice from my great aunt. Aunt Sis is what we affectionately call her. I gave her a call [which means it's serious, lol] and when she gave the habitual line "so, what's going on?" I hesitated. Working in the inner city school district of New York has given her a keen instinct and I was stopped dead in my tracks. She told me, never mind what happened, and to not re live bad memories by telling them over and over again. "Beating yourself up does nothing but make you old, fast!" she told me, and honestly, how could I move forward if I was still looking back? Living with regrets stunts personal growth and is quite exhausting. So forget how bad 2010 has been to you. Instead learn from the mistakes made, and make 2011 your bitch! Pimp the hell out of it!
  3. Think realistically. No one wakes up one morning and says "I want to act" and wins an Oscar the next day. Molding yourself into the person you know you can be takes time and effort. Which goes for anything worth having, or it will be gone as fast as it's acquired. Losing weight, cutting back on drinking, becoming the go-to person at work is possible. Don't get discouraged at the rate it comes in; habits are hard to form depending on the nature. The repetition of those acts over time become second nature, if your resolution is important to you, stick with it, and soon enough, you'll be doing it without even knowing.
  4. Run your own race. When I lived in Atlanta, it was obvious that we all were walking around wearing a facade... secretly comparing ourselves to everyone else and their status. Everyone who lives there can't all be models, rappers, singers, athletes, and socialites. Some pretty faces were meant to be surgeons, and teachers; doing "unglamorous" things that could give so much satisfaction. Look at what your personal interests and true wants are, and stop starring at the next chicks Gucci bag... personally, I'm a fan of anything that's cute :)
  5. Stay prayed up. Do you have to go to church every Sunday? No. That's not what I'm saying at all. But if you consider yourself a Christian, saved, whatever, you have to have a certain amount of faith that understands even when things aren't going your way, they happen for a specific reason. Don't be bitter, be grateful. I mean it is 2011....
  6. Be your own best friend. This is the year to be honest with yourself.Forgive the ones who did you wrong and do things for yourself that make you happy, that way you'll never be disappointed. Start to think about alternative ways of eating and having fun, and while you're out tonight drinking like the fishes, don't forget to add water to the tab!
  7. Appreciate the life you got. Enough said.
Ok, it's exactly 30 minutes before 2010 is no longer with us. Even though it has treated me like its forgotten step child, I will miss it...

let's toast, to 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment